Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Challenge for Lent

This is not typically the kind of post you see from me, but it is that time of year again, Lent. It is when everyone asks each other "so, what are you giving up?" I generally reply "I am not giving up anything."  Then, I get a look like what an awful person I am followed by "you know it is Lent and you have to give up something."  Personally, I believe that the Lent period of 40 days (beginning today, Ash Wednesday and ending on Holy Thursday, April 17th) is a time when I try to add something to my life, something that will extend beyond the 40 days.  Personally (again, personally), I feel that giving something up like, cookies, ice cream, coffee, soda and other things of this type don't necessarily contribute to my spiritual life.  In years past, I have done these things only to then binge on whatever I gave up on day 41.  I know that giving something up is a sacrifice and may be symbolic of the sacrifice that was made for each of us. In the past, I have felt better about the season when I have attempted to spend more time each day dedicated to my Faith. This year I asked my sister, Tamie, for suggestions and here it is..this year's Lenten Challenge

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay, Im excited to hear about this 40 day journey, I have been wanting to read Praying circles around your children, same author, have you read?