Friday, June 3, 2011

What a surprise

Several months ago, while I was taking the kids to school, we were listening to the radio and the radio personalities were talking about a surprise party. Kira said, "I wish I could have a surprise party that sounds like fun." We generally do not do large birthday parties due to the timing of Kira and Keenan's birthday which fall during team football camp and/or team Pitt State Camp. However, this year, I decided we would celebrate Kira's birthday early (as her birthday is on June 15th) and Joe will be home from camp next weekend to celebrate Keenan's too (his birthday is June 10th). I took Keylee and Keenan with me to run errands and Joe was going to bring Kira to meet us for a "football pizza party." As we started down the road I told Keylee and Keenan I had a confession to make. I told them we were actually not going to a football pizza party but we were going to set up for Kira's surprise party at the Aggieville Pizza Hut. Keenan immediately started to cry and threw his football down stating, "I brought this football for nothing!" Eventually he bought into the idea but was still disappointed that the party was for Kira and not him until I reminded him of his planned and known (not surprise) party for next weekend.
Kira got a Magic 8 Ball from one of her friends for her birthday. I think the girls played with that gift the entire time. Keenan turned to me and said "I hope someone brings me an Magic 8 Ball but I hope it is a 9 Ball instead so me and Kira don't get ours mixed up."
Overall, it was s super fun night. Kira had no idea and she was so confused when the girls shouted surprise. Kira did miss her good friend Megan but she will celebrate with her next weekend at Keenan's birthday party which Keenan informed me is "no fair."
I was impressed that it truly ended up being a surprise. A party is a big secret for 8/9 year old girls to keep.

1 comment:

julie said...

So sad to miss it but looks like she loved it! I haven't told Megan yet... may let Kira break the news to her.