Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicago Marathon - Bitter Sweet

10/10/10 has come and gone. The Chicago Marathon is over. I had an absolutely great trip to the "windy city" with some great friends. This was the largest Chicago Marathon to date. The streets were constantly filled with people for the marathon. I was truly amazed at not only all the runners but all of the international runners. As I stated, the trip was fantastic. I was disappointed with my time as I finished ten minutes slower than my goal. I managed to convince my friend Debbie to run with me and I managed two other friends to join us in Chicago for a "girls weekend." I said I was not going to run another marathon but just continue to run half-marathons. I have changed my mind. I have already looked at the marathon calendar and picked out two marathons that I may run. I told Joe before Chicago that if I didn't finish under 4 hours I was running again. When I told him I had two marathons picked out to run I got the predictable sigh and eye roll. Don't get me wrong, he was very supportive of my recent efforts. However, I think he needs time to recover from the marathon, ha.
me and my friend Debbie
Debbie, me, Tanna and Darci in front of an incredible little breakfast cafe. Yum. Reminded me of "The Chef" here in Manhattan. I didn't post pics but we also ate at Harry Caray's, shopped on Michigan Avenue and went to see The Lion King. I was so happy to have my friend Darci with me. She is an expert traveler. She travels so much for her work that she is so efficient in her use of time and transportation. She had the CTA map memorized.
A couple pics from the Marathon Expo. I was OVERWHELMED by the number of people. WOW. People... People ... and more People!!
Beautiful view out by Lake Shore Drive.
Getting ready to fly out of Manhattan Regional Airport.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time! After a nice long rest, I hope your 4 hour goal is achieved at your next one!!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time! After a nice long rest, I hope your 4 hour goal is achieved at your next one!!

DD said...

Good job, Kit! And I hope you achieve your goal, too. I can't imagine doing ANYTHING (except sleeping) for 4 hours.

Braxmeyers said...

Which other marathons are you thinking of? It sounds like a lot more fun when you can make a girls weekend out of it!